Thursday, August 02, 2012

Our Schoolroom 2012-2013

I got up early this morning and read a few of the posts on the Back To Homeschool-Blog Hop-Classrooms. I just love peeking into other family's homes to see how they have their school area set up.

Our house is small (900 square feet, give or take a few) so I am always looking for ways to save space or organize in the space we have.

Reading other posts inspired me so much that I started working on straightening up and sorting out my school shelves and the dining area so that I could share. I just finished and took some photos. (Good thing, too, because they may never be this tidy again.)


This is where we do our school work. I may not be organized everywhere but, believe it or not, I do like to keep the dining table cleaned off. So it pretty much looks like this unless we are using it. I think it makes the whole area look better if the table is clean. (Hubby got that watermelon from a co-worker whose grandfather grows them to sell. This was a leftover because it was small.)

Just to the right of that in the above photo you can see the edge of what we call our school shelf:


Would you like to know what all is in this picture? If so, keep reading. If not, skip this section.

Here is our school shelf, corkboard, easel and what once was going to be workboxes but is now storage for puzzles, scrap paper and other random craft supplies. The purple basket on top of the workboxes/storage is our library basket. (Gotta keep up with them, can't afford late fees.)

You can also see our 3 year old in Daddy's chair, because just to the right is our living room.

Back to the school area.

Top of the bookcase: Play-Doh (I personally don't like the stuff. Don't tell the good parent police.) Green box has magnetic letters, Clear box is crafty/schooly supplies like extra glues and paintbrushes. Red box is full of card games and flash cards. On top of that is an old-school pencil sharpener that has been screwed onto a clipboard. (Our electric one stopped working and this is borrowed from my dad.)

First shelf:  Books behind the other books because there are no other places to put them. So I put the ones that were more likely to be used this year in the front.

Second shelf: Collection of story books (mostly Golden Books) that were mine when I was small. (I keep them up higher so that they can be supervised when they are being used so as not to get them destroyed accidentally.) Also some puzzles.

Third shelf: Small books, Another box of games, a box of crayons, and a box of markers

Fourth shelf: Older reading books

Fifth shelf: Notebooks for schoolwork

Bottom shelf: Random workbooks and other books that we probably won't be using this year. (Actually, now that I think about it, I will probably be moving all those books to make room for what we actually are using this year.)

Because....

This is the box of books that I have taken off the shelf to sort because it's stuff that we will actually be using this year:



I will be going back to the Back to Homeschool Blog Hop to get more ideas later this week. I was just thinking, only other homeschoolers would want to look at pictures of other people's bookshelves. Ha!

Have a great week!


Linking up with:

9 comments:

  1. *** I was just thinking, only other homeschoolers would want to look at pictures of other people's bookshelves. Ha! ***

    You're probably right! lol Thank you for sharing your learning area with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scholl are looks good! This is our first year, we are doing University style schooling (co-op), I am very excited! What are your best tips! I'm working on our room this weekend, hopefully I can post some pictures soon! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so motivating reading about how other people work with smaller spaces, like what we're working with. I love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A 900 sft. house, we too lived in a 2 bedroom 1 bath two years ago. It is a challenge to fit our books and the kids =). We now live in 1200sft. place and it's still hard but we make it work. You did a great job, way to go mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done a wonderful job organizing your space. And I don't care for play doh either. I try and let the kids play with it anyhow. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the kind comments! @Rachel, I just wing it, mostly. I have a "sort of" plan, but then I just write down what we got done. My best tip is to start the day with prayer. Seriously.
    I hope you have a great year. Have fun with your kids, they aren't little forever. Enjoy this time while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great!

    You can get a teacher card at the library. One benefit in doing so is that there are no late fees. :) Our library requires homeschoolers to bring in their letter from the school district showing that you are homeschooling, and that's it!

    Hope you have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Play-doh hater here too! ;)

    Great organization job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by...I WISH my book shelves were so neatly organized!

    ReplyDelete